Disclaimer

This publication is the exclusive property of cjschlottman, and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this blog may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, cjschlottman. All rights reserved.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Frozen Heat - © Claudia Schlottman

05/19/10



Frozen Heat


I stumble, take a half step back 
fly down a dark shaft legs thrown up 
in a perfect vee. 

Birkenstocks scraping the roof of 
the tunnel fly off and pound my 
face. Dress blown over my head, my 
back heats and blisters with friction. 
I land hard in a frigid pool. 

Tears breach eyelids squeezed against 
the darkness, drain down my face in
rivulets of scorching sleet.

My mouth flies open and from it 
howls and screeches of poisonous
pain hurtle forth as from the throat 
of a wounded dog.  I peek out 
to see only darkness, no hint 
of light glowing in the distance. 

I hobble to my feet, groping
in the inky space for warmth.  
My feet burn scarlet with cold 
my teeth clack, arms break into a 
hot rash, then freeze.  I stagger, flee
the cold, falter forward seeking 
the warmth you stole in the fever
of your dying.                    

5 comments:

lissa said...

oh what pain this embeds into the readers mind, well, at least mine anyway


thanks for your visit to my blog

cj Schlottman said...

Lissa............At last! I have been waiting and praying for some traffic on this blog. Thanks for your comment. I will see you on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Claudia!! I haven't had an opportunity to read your poetry before now. How beautiful and rich with imagery. Well done!

Cheryl said...

This is beautiful and painful and haunting.

Susan Anderson said...

Very powerful.

=)