Disclaimer

This publication is the exclusive property of cjschlottman, and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this blog may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, cjschlottman. All rights reserved.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Hand and Glove


When you were here you were
the glove & I the hand
safe & balanced & strong.
Then the fever of your
dying melted the glove &
it dripped off the ends
of my fingers, spilling
itself into a pool
of sadness in which I
stood naked, afraid. I
crawled beside you in
our bed, warmed by your
fever, knowing it to be
your last warmth, as your breaths
drew longer, your heart slowed
& stopped.

I held tight to you, listened
hard, desperate for any
hint of life but there was none.
I lay with you, my head
pressed to your still and quiet
chest, feeling a chill fall
over me & wanting to
follow you.


© cj Schlottman  2010










3 comments:

Daydreamertoo said...

Heart-breaking to go through yet, we can not be with them and wish for them not to leave too.
Having been through it myself, all I can say is, I know how empty it leaves those who are left behind, feeling.
Emotion filled and poignant in its sadness of loss.

Kay said...

Oh my God, you have also lost your love. I am sorry. xoXox

The Poet said...

Hello.
This is absolutely heartbreaking.
I'm so sorry.

You are very brave to share with us.
My best wishes to you.

Unchain My Heart