Disclaimer

This publication is the exclusive property of cjschlottman, and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this blog may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, cjschlottman. All rights reserved.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Thank You, Mr. Martini, Whoever You Are

martinis are my drug of choice  
made with tanqueray   frosty cold 
straight up   garnished with two olives
not three  not fancy ones   green ones 
stuffed with pimiento   served on a 
charger   no paper napkin for 
my elegant libation
the masterpiece arrives in a 
shiny silver shaker on a 
black enamel tray   the waiter
shakes it and in a display that 
leaves me breathless   pours the elixir 
into my glass   crystal   of course
when the icy rim touches my
lips   i close my eyes and exhale
a sigh as big as montana
i caress the rim of the glass
with my finger   stir the contents
with olives speared on sterling 
silver mini-swords
i swirl a second sip around
my teeth   taste it on my gums 
my tongue   swallow slowly   savor 
the essence of juniper as 
it finishes in my nose   
© cjschlottman  2011

6 comments:

Ed Pilolla said...

mercy
i am thirsty

Classic NYer said...

Damn... now I want a drink, haha... this might be the best love poem to a cocktail I've ever heard.

Daydreamertoo said...

LOL Makes me want one too and I don't drink.
A very sensual write.

Martha Gates-Mawson said...

Beautiful! Martinis will always make me think of my father, who would disappear to the bar area and work on the martinis as if he were an alchemist, emerging with what I have been told were the best.

Fonda said...

I love this one! Too bad I am at school and can't have a martini right this minute - my mouth is screaming for one!
Fonda

Anonymous said...

I have actually never had a Martini...... But now I want one, really bad...... Back in the 60's and 70's my father would talk about his business lunches with Martini's, but said he didn't care for them really. He drank "Highballs" at home on Game Nights with family friends and other occasions... When I came of age it was a different crowned I was in......Jack Daniels, Captain Morgan and Wild Turkey seemed to be the popular drinks..... Now I'm in my 50's and honestly I can't remember the last time I had a mixed drink.....